Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Salvador Dali Barcelona Mannequin painting

Salvador Dali Barcelona Mannequin paintingJoseph Mallord William Turner Portsmouth paintingJoseph Mallord William Turner The Slave Ship painting
You're from ," I ventured next, but I was too much upset still to relish the sarcasm. "All this rigmarole is somebody's notion of a way to sell textbooks."
Tranquilly he shut his eyes until I was done. Then, he said, "I enjoy raillery, classmate, but there just isn't time. Here's what you need to know: I'm not from this campus (you've guessed that already). My alma mater is New Tamman -- you couldn't have heard of it, it's in a different university entirely. And my father was George Giles." He paused. "Thetrue GILES; classmate: the Grand Tutor of our Western Campus."
I leaned back in my swivel-chair. The hour was late. Outside, the weather roared. Nothing was getting done. Distraught to my marrow, I acknowledged him -- "Was,you say." But I was almost incapable of attending what he said.
For the first and only time his expression turned sorrowful. "He's no longer with us. He has. . . gone away for a while."
Dreamily I said, "But he'll come back, of course."
He looked at me. "Of course."

No comments: