Saturday, October 4, 2008

William Etty Penitent Magdalen painting

William Etty Penitent Magdalen paintingWilliam Etty Female Nude in a Landscape paintingBenjamin Williams Leader The Incoming Tide Porth Newquay painting
their minds one half will be saying, “That’s what comes of bringing the boy up a Catholic,” and the other half will say, “That’s what comes of sending him to Eton instead of Stonyhurst.” Poor mummy can’t get it right.
We lunched with Lady Marchmain. She accepted the whole thing with humorous resignation. Her only reproach was: ‘I can’t think why you went off and stayed with Mr Mottram. You might have come and told me about it first.’ ‘How am I going to explain it to all the family?’ she asked. ‘They will be so shocked to find that they’re more upset about it than I am. Do you know my sister-in-law, Fanny Rosscommon? She has always thought I brought the children up badly. Now I am beginning to think she must be right.’
When we left I said: ‘She couldn’t have been more charming. What were you so worried about?’
‘I can’t explain,’ said Sebastian miserably.

No comments: