Monday, October 27, 2008

Guido Reni The Archangel Michael painting

Guido Reni The Archangel Michael paintingFrancois Boucher The Rape of Europa paintingMichelangelo Buonarroti The Creation of Adam painting
looked intently at him.
Lesbia's husband-his name was Marcus Vinicius-said again, "Cassius, we have much in common and when I call you 'friend', I mean it. What's the watchword?"
Cassius answered, "The watchword to-night is 'Little Ringlets'. But, my friend Marcus Vinicius, if I may indeed call you friend, give me the watchword 'Liberty' and my sword is at your service."
Vinicius embraced him. "We are not the only two who arc ready to strike for Liberty. The Tiger is also with me." 'The Tiger"-his real name was Cornelius Sabinus-was another Guards colonel, who relieved Cassius whenever he went off duty.
The great Palatine Festival started the next day. This festival in honour of Augustus had been instituted by Livia at the beginning of Tiberius's monarchy and was held annually in the Southern Court of the Old Palace. It began with sacrifices to Augustus and a symbolic procession,

No comments: