Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rivera The Flower Seller, 1942 painting

Rivera The Flower Seller, 1942 painting
Bouguereau Evening Mood painting
Bouguereau The Wave painting
Cabanel The Birth of Venus painting
from Mrs. Manson Mingott, his soul had been more deeply tried.
He had found the old lady depressed and querulous.
``You know she's deserted me?'' she began at once; and without waiting for his reply: ``Oh, don't ask me why! She gave so many reasons that I've forgotten them all. My private belief is that she couldn't face the boredom. At any rate that's what Augusta and my daughters-in-law think. And I don't know that I altogether blame her. Olenski's a finished scoundrel; but life with him must have been a good deal gayer than it is in Fifth Avenue. Not that the family would admit that: they think Fifth Avenue is Heaven with the rue de la Paix thrown in. And poor Ellen, of course, has no idea of going back to her husband. She held out as firmly as ever against that. So she's to settle down in Paris with that fool Medora. . . . Well, Paris is Paris; and you can keep a carriage there on next to nothing. But she was as gay as a bird, and I shall miss her.'' Two tears, the parched tears of the old, rolled down her puffy cheeks and vanished in the abysses of her bosom.

No comments: